Setting up milestones

rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Setting up milestones

Post by rekka_zan on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:50 am

Because we've agreed to what engine we're going to use, I think it's time for us to start developing. And thus, setting up milestones is necessary. The milestone should be coordinated/decided by the Lead Developers, including the deadline and what we're aiming to achieve by that time. For example, the visual team can set up a target like "Having Volnutt 3D model finished by July 30th" and post it here so that everyone (not just the developer team) can see the progress report.

Well, since the development just barely started and the Lead Developers are not assigned yet, this thread will only serve as a placeholder for now.
    Jesse
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 35

Re: Setting up milestones

Post by Jesse on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:35 am

Saw this on /v/ I lol'd. Laughing

But seriously, setting goals and deadline would be an efficient way to start production. As an animator, it usually takes me about a week to get a full cycle of animation done. That'll include walks, runs, jumps, attacks, and so on.

OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:47 am

I think we first need an idle animation for Megaman, so we can at least get started on programming (I'm sure me and the other programmers don't mind running around as Citizen Megaman [if you don't get the Citizen joke, it's from TF2]).
    smalltrouble
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 36

Post by smalltrouble on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 am

I was thinking that something like this should be done. When we get Lead Developers in each group setting goals could help speed up development and show the public that we are working on a game. When we get a type of chat set up we will be able to chat to others and talk about what needs to be done.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:23 pm

OniLink++ wrote:I think we first need an idle animation for Megaman, so we can at least get started on programming (I'm sure me and the other programmers don't mind running around as Citizen Megaman [if you don't get the Citizen joke, it's from TF2]).

First we need a 3D MegaMan Model. (Or some sort of a basic, similar 3D model as a placeholder.)

Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Would it be possible to rip Megaman's model from the MML PC game? I know there's a modding community for it, at least.

I also believe many people have already ripped Barretts model off of the Devroom's model viewer, and probably Aero's too.

Those would be good place-holders, and we would also have them as reference for when we make our own.

Also, on deadlines. They can potentially kill us. We're not doing this as a job, but in our free-time. a definite deadline is only going to cause immense stress, possible drama, and maybe even members quitting. All of our deadlines should be vague, flexible, and very understanding. Most indie games I've seen completed or well on their way took this approach.

Besides, no certain deadline and budget has it's drawbacks, but it does have one great thing. We have the ability to fine-tune and detail as we please.

Though we should definitely focus on getting either a demo video, playable demo, or both out as soon as possible after organization to show everyone that we're serious. Then comes the prototype, then comes MML3; at leisure for best results. Well, as long as we keep the public updated and well-informed, don't want to go silent on them.

Normal User
    Normal User

Male Posts : 33

Post by lunargoblin on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:38 pm

I used to do amateur game design in a program called BYOND, and they had a great quote on their website. I've spent the last 10 or so minutes looking for it, but can't seem to find it so I'll just paraphrase:

"Nothing is more deadly to a project than setting a deadline. You'll never make it; all you'll do is frustrate yourself and disappoint your fans. Deadlines kill inspiration."

I think we should take the Guild Wars 2 approach to release dates: when it's done. And not a day sooner. Yes, we should release a demo, but as soon as possible? This demo needs to be damned polished, or no one is going to give a shit (pardon the language) about our little fan game. Our first exposure to the public needs to make them stop and go "WOW. Fans did that?" We've set ourselves some lofty goals with this project. I think we should aim for nothing less than perfection, because the fans demand it of us...just like they demanded it of Capcom.
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Of course the demo needs to be really polished. Not disputing that, "soon as possible" means "absolute first priority" in this context.

And yes, it seems we're on the same wavelength over deadlines.

Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:22 pm

We don't need deadlines—we need attitude.

I didn't have to be the top game speculator at the Devroom, in terms of just how much content one member could produce. I wanted to, though, and I treated the Devroom as an exercise for me, an exercise for my imagination and game design thinking. With that attitude, I got a surprising amount of content produced and nearly all my 4.5K posts came from the Devroom, just speculating and having fun with my own development process. That's the kind of attitude I want to see from everyone on this team: the designers, musicians, programmers, artists—all of you cats. If we have true passion for what we say we're wanting to do, then it's something we need to do, with that same enthusiasm and passion for it.

—From this attitude, we set deadlines for ourselves, and don't just work to the extent of some arbitrary quota the director gives us. An aphorism.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Post by rekka_zan on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:59 pm

That's why I called it "milestones", not "deadlines". And the one to set the milestones is our own self. It's not like a professional team when the producer ask someone to finish something at a date. What I meant was a process like this :

===
    (a closed discussion, probably in DevRoom or IM)
    Lead Artist : "Okay guys, so what are we going to do next?"
    Member A : "I want to fix Barret's shooting animation. I think it would take about a week"
    Member B : "I've already completed the previous milestone. I'll start working on a new reaverbot for this week."
    Lead Artist : "How long do you think it would take?"
    Member B : "The previous one took me a month, but this one's gonna be easier because I can reuse some assets. Probably 3 weeks."
    Lead Artist : "Okay then, we're setting those as our next milestone."

And then the Lead Artist post something like this here :
    "This is the progress report from the artists.
    Member A : Fixing Barret's shooting animation. ETA : about a week
    Member B : Working on a new reaverbot. ETA : about 3 weeks"
    ===

So basically it's more like a progress report and planning, or a "changelog", rather than a set deadline. And the deadline is set by ourselves. It's similar to what GenSpec said : attitude. Only it's written and organized so people can see what we're doing so far.
    omegaprime02
    Official Conceptual Developer
    Official Conceptual Developer

Male Posts : 35

Post by omegaprime02 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:15 am

rekka_zan wrote:That's why I called it "milestones", not "deadlines". And the one to set the milestones is our own self. It's not like a professional team when the producer ask someone to finish something at a date. What I meant was a process like this :

===
    (a closed discussion, probably in DevRoom or IM)
    Lead Artist : "Okay guys, so what are we going to do next?"
    Member A : "I want to fix Barret's shooting animation. I think it would take about a week"
    Member B : "I've already completed the previous milestone. I'll start working on a new reaverbot for this week."
    Lead Artist : "How long do you think it would take?"
    Member B : "The previous one took me a month, but this one's gonna be easier because I can reuse some assets. Probably 3 weeks."
    Lead Artist : "Okay then, we're setting those as our next milestone."

And then the Lead Artist post something like this here :
    "This is the progress report from the artists.
    Member A : Fixing Barret's shooting animation. ETA : about a week
    Member B : Working on a new reaverbot. ETA : about 3 weeks"
    ===

So basically it's more like a progress report and planning, or a "changelog", rather than a set deadline. And the deadline is set by ourselves. It's similar to what GenSpec said : attitude. Only it's written and organized so people can see what we're doing so far.

I like this idea the most, it allows for the most flexibility while still having a structure, I agree that deadlines are bad, why do you think they call the DEADlines?

We also need to be energized about the project as a whole, people should work on what they want to, there's a little company that uses a similar work structure, most people know them as Google.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:06 am