I think this may be obvious, but...

Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Re: I think this may be obvious, but...

Post by Adrian2040 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 pm

General Specific wrote:Status ailments generally aren't on my table at the moment, because they're generally more frustrating to implement than clever level design and/or enemy hijinks. This game isn't a Rogue-like, and status ailments often necessitate greater focus on items that can cure any ailments inflicted on the player—I think that's a little unnecessary for Legends.

It is much easier to create temporary status ailments. Status ailments that only apply to your for seconds, like that green ailment that didn't let MegaMan use his buster for some seconds.

Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 pm

I'll be trying that on for select Reaverbots and traps, and it's definitely a better way to deal with battle scenarios and traps.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Skybane Zero
    DASH Writer
    DASH Writer

Male Posts : 206

Post by Skybane Zero on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Personally, I loved the Lock-on in MML2. I would definately say go for it in this game.

Official Designer

Post by HalcyonDays on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 am

MaestroMaharg wrote:It seems everyone is treating it as if "Obviously we're going to do what Megaman Legends 2 did! because it's obvious!"

Well, if you were to ask me. I'd say no, we should do things like Megaman Legends 1 did it. Yes you heard me right, no lock on and strafe!

Before you instantly think I'm wrong, hear me out. Megaman Legends 3's lock-on feature made the majority of boss battles far too easy (Bonne battles as well and Bola and Claymoore).

In Megaman Legends one, you could lock on and hit the target easier, but you run the chance of being hit, since you can't move.
    Now, if you want to move and shoot, you need skill! you need to know when to shoot, how far ahead to aim, in order the hit a moving target.

Really, it comes down to. Do we want the shooting to take skill, or be far, far, far easier, as it was in Megaman Legends 2... Besides, locking on and strafing is overrated... Tongue

Okay, I know this is incredibly late, as a reply, and most likely the thread could be considered obsolete, but since I'm not quite allowed in the PL: Development HQ Section as of now, I thought I'd go ahead and address this.

Graham (this is Graham, right?), the reason that Lock-On whilst Strafing in the 2nd game seemed to make battles easier wasn't the fault of being able to Lock-On and Strafe.

It was the fault of the enemy AI/the way the enemies moved about. All the movement capabilities of the enemies were either extremely limited, or they just flat out stood still. (E.G. Bola, Claymoore, Etc)

I remember a similar topic in which someone mentioned giving Megaman "handicaps" in order to "up the difficulty" of the game, and I must say that handicapping Megaman by reducing what we already know he's capable of ISN'T the right way to raise the difficulty level. That lends itself to Fake Difficulty.

If anything, it's the way the enemies move and attack (AI) as well as the battlefield terrain (traps, obstacles, etc) that should be changed in order to make battles more fulfillling and challenging.

Merely nerfing the player creates a type of challenge that feels limiting, and rather unrewarding, but creating the right type of challenges in the right way, such as I've mentioned previously with regards to enemy AI and battlefield design, would create engaging, rewarding challenges without ever having to deny the player an ability that should, by all sense, be available, such as strafing and locking-on simultaneously.

P.S. TO THOSE DEVELOPING THIS GAME.

If I could make a request. Please consider a game that could truly test the skills of the player, in a way that let's the player utilize all the skills that they've obtained, without necessarily "nerfing" what they can do, whilst still making a challenge that requires every bit of their skill, ability and technique to defeat.

That'd make a considerable part of my dream game, to use all my skills, techniques, and abilities in a fight, and still be met with an incredible, engaging challenge.

Last edited by HalcyonDays on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:51 am

In short: balancing up—not balancing down—feels more gratifying to the player, and would feel appropriate for the climax of this story arc. And, yes Hal, that's Graham.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    HalcyonDays
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Post by HalcyonDays on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:55 am

Yeah, what Gendo said. Thanks for the tl;dr. Guess all this inactivity has made me quite talkative.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:34 am