Tools, Items, and Upgrades Discussion

MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Re: Tools, Items, and Upgrades Discussion

Post by MaestroMaharg on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:59 am

General Specific wrote:Not my call—I'm the immature one in this thread, lol.
    Oh well, I'll leave it up untill someone either tells me to take it down, or finds it offensive.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 425

Post by LordGarza on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:13 pm

That was SO random. A jetpack that serves as double bblabla would be a good idea if an enemy gets to attack quickly more than 2 times. It would also be important in a boss fight.
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 am

Hmm the jet pack sounds handy. Could also help to get across those gaps in areas for things.

Another thought. How about giving Trigger gauntlets. That well enable him to hang to walls. Much like in the X games or something. Though I guess it could go against Barrets controls in a way. But I think it also could make for some interesting areas which require you to hang to the wall avoiding traps and the like in places. These could also allow him to swim or something as well.
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Female Posts : 205

Post by PixelSprite on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 am

Jadzxa, even if it wasn't quite what you had in mind, you just gave me visions of Megaman doing Parkour. Ecstatic But I've thought that would be fun to play for a while.

Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:14 pm

You mean something along the lines of X's wall-jumping functions, PS. I've been thinking of using that for a while, though I don't think a certain item would be necessary for it to be used.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza on Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Perhaps megaman could learn it's necesary, and not having it from the start as a basic trait.
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Hmm yes maybe it could be like an original trait. That was like forgotten or something. He was a combat unit in the past as stated before, maybe it all could come up in some tut while on Elysium or something. How it also could work I think, is say. If you jump to a wall you can target to a cross wall if it's close enough and auto jump to it or something, guess it'd be kind of quirky to work out in a 3D setting. Unless it's made like X7's..But vastly more fixed.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:20 pm

I'd prefer no auto jump, because it would mean the player has some good skills.
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Hmm yeah auto jumping could ruin it. And if it would be going MMX like style with it. The targeting could seem pretty useless. Like you said skill and such heh. Guess if anything targeting would be used for shooting things while on the wall. That'd be crazy. I can imagine flames under you or something as you try fighting off bots just keeping yourself from falling below. Ok, imagination overload.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:53 pm

That would be a great idea. Maybe we could hide some easter eggs that you MUST use this skill, that way it could be a "plus" for the games and a challenge to the players.
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:09 pm

I can almost see some MMX reference items popping up to get using the abilities and such. Brings to mind those other suits like acting as armor pieces or something. But yeah wall climbing ability sounds like it could fit in pretty good in areas.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:25 pm

specially if any of those areas you must unleash your skills to escape a danger..
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:43 pm

If I figure that wall-jumping will work out for ruin design and mission design, in the future, it definitely won't be as abusable as it is in MMX. There'll be a limit to how far you can wall-jump before you make landfall again.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Sure, no prob with that. I only want to jump from wall to wall and make spidey look like a noob in this Very Happy
    Baldarov
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by Baldarov on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:17 pm

Zipline = weirdo arm cannon upgrade from megaman 1 minus the disappearing. (instead it will bend based upon how much more you're doing on it than running across, and then break) Both a gameplay bonus and a legacy hook in one.
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Not feeling that one, to be honest. It's called the Magnet Beam, fyi.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:25 am

General Specific wrote:Not feeling that one, to be honest. It's called the Magnet Beam, fyi.
    Me neither...
    Baldarov
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by Baldarov on Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:51 pm

lol sorry just read the first page. I was in a rush that day.
    I saw mention of the zipline and remembered the magnet beam which could be a more stable alternative (as zipline implies always going at a slight downwards angle)

LordGarza wrote:I'd prefer no auto jump, because it would mean the player has some good skills.
    Actually seen a semi-auto in a game before...Called The Legend of the Black Buccaneer on PS2. Granted I doubt MML will require so many buttons that a dual-use button is necessary but near ledges the roll (X) turns into a jump, similar to OoT. Unlike OoT it still feels like there is a bit of 'platforming' at the game's heart, and therefore it feels like it's done well in that it still feels like you're 'jumping.' Also you don't hop a set distance, so if you're turned to the side too far or you run too fast up to the ledge you'll overshoot.

As to why this was necessary on a PS2 game, the game has a voodoo theme and the L/R buttons are your voodoo powers.
    It sounds like it might be a hassle on platforming bits (and they're actually tougher than most dedicated platformers I've played for the system) but the leeway for the jump/roll switch is enough that on 5foot platforms you won't find yourself accidentally rolling into a pit trap or a volcano. (also pit traps activate a fraction of a second after they become 'ledge' in the game's definition so you can actually detect them this way if there's a lot). You also autograb ledges Prince of Persia style (and yes there are some 'leap of faith' jumps incorporating that as well)

so if there is a need for it an auto doesn't always have to be something bad, so long as you let the player still control the WHEN.
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm opting for no auto-jumping at all.
    One of my favorite aspects of Megaman Legends was the platforming. The shame in that is that they're wasn't very much of it. Yosyonke Ruins is about all that comes to mind.

Looking at things far in the future, I'd like to see alot more platforming, and making jumping automatic would turn platforming into watching the player jump over gaps.

Platforming is something I think should be greatly expanded on, and that, most importantly, should take skill.
    And I think the best way is too keep jumping the same way Megaman Legends and Megaman Legends 2 had done it, (But improved of course, as jumping was sketchy). Simply "X" to jump...

Also, on an equally as important note,
    Let's try and keep this discussion to Tools, items, and upgrades. Jumping mechanics should be discussed in gameplay discussion.
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:30 pm

No auto-jumping, mainly because platforming will be a key part of ruin design, and restricting the way dungeons are designed in this game would royally piss me off.

Also, jumping mechanics and abilities are fine in this thread—it's a very all-purpose discussion.

Let's not get nosy, bub.

godsdeth
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by godsdeth on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:58 pm

Why are you people still talking about jumping? I wanna talk about weapons like the shining laser from 1&2 and the Sabre that you would use the Zetsabre to make.

I wanna see if we could make it so that when we get a weapon upgraded things would be put on it, and you could add thing you find in the game to add to it.
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:16 pm

Is it alright that I smooshed that 'double-post' together?
    Anyways, I think the idea sounds interesting enough. Adding parts to an already-existing one could add an extra layer of depth to weapon customization.
    As to why 'us people' are talking about jumping; It's an important and neccessary part of the character, no doubt, but frankly, it was just the topic at hand.
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:34 pm

If we feel the modeling can be done for weapon upgrades on a smaller scale, then we should—immersive details like those are useful in keeping the Legends game experience interesting.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    LordGarza
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Post by LordGarza on Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:44 am

I think the jumping idea was because we want to add some kind of extra to this ability. It would make the game better. And sure, I'd like to customize any of my special weapons as I want to. Would give it a little spice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm