Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice

MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice

Post by MaestroMaharg on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:35 pm

I beleive a Megaman Legends made with RPG Maker VX would be increedibly loyal to the series. I going to have to cast my vote for RPG maker myself.

If you don't see what im getting at, imagine this video, excpet with the generic dungeon replaced with a ruin tileset, the character(s) being Megaman, the enemies Reaverbots, and "buster-bullets" being fired from side to side.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsiet8ZZWSI

To tell you the truth, I can see it now. "Open up your menu, click attack, choose either buster hun or special weapon". "Open menu, click inventory, choose energy canteen, hyper cartridge, or chameleon net". Since MML is an action RPG, to me, and RPG such as the one in the following video is the most logical of choices.

Plus it's easy. the engine's already there, and we can even just use stationary drawing! If we were to use this, it could easily be a quality product in under a year!
    Maddey_Linqs
    Official Conceptual Developer

Re: Why RPG Maker VX Would be a Great Choice

Post by Maddey_Linqs on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:45 pm

I'd suggest UDK or Unity just because but I'll have to wait for what others would think. True UDK is for shooters, but Mass Effect...A game engine that's used a lot for shooter games can turn into an awesome 3d adventure or Action RPG through the hands of the coding gods.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:49 pm

It would take less time and we would need far less experienced coders and artists. However my original idea was to make this game as faithful to the original concept as possible.

It is very possible for us to make a 3D game like the PSOne games, or at this point even better. However, it would take much more time.

Do people want a game now or can they wait?
    Are they doing it mostly for the storyline or for the gameplay?
    Would people care if we re-imagined the gameplay or do they want a true 3D Platforming Sequel?

It is true that most of the final decisions will end up being done by me and a lot of other developers in the group, but I decided that this game should be made by the fans and if people want something different, then I won't go against it.

My vote is for a full faithful sequel, similar to a retail version. But my vote is not final.

DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 pm

It appears we will just have to agree to disagree on this one Adrian. I mean, this is sort of your project in a sense, so do whatever you feel is right.

My only concern is that it may take longer than you expect for the game to really start. And if things take too long in the beggining, it will slowly die down, and then *plop* it's dead Crying or Very sad So in my opinion, production needs to start sooner rather than later, and it needs to continue at a steady pace for this to go anywhere.

Also, you may be surprised at how faithdul a game made in RPG Maker can be to the original game. It appears only time will tell what form the game will take...

Last edited by MaestroMaharg on Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
    MaxRock
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by MaxRock on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 pm

For the sake of this project I will say so: do NOT stick with RPG Maker. Use GameMaker instead. It is amazing tool and you can create any game you want with it, the only limit is your skills/imagination. Don't belive me? Google for Crimelife 2 or 3( 3d GTA-like game created with it) ot check out my MMBN fangame called Chrono X.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:31 pm

I decided to make it on Little Big Planet 2... Just Kidding.

Being serious now. Please, when you suggest something such as a game creator or engine, try to show some ideas, concepts or videos to prove it's worth. You don't need to, but it would help. Thanks in advance.

Visitor

Post by MaxRock on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Crimelife 3 VID1
    Crimelife VID2
    MMBN CHRONO X VID1
    MMBN CHRONO X VID2
    MMBN CHRONO X VID3
    Here, all this is done in GameMaker. Want to check this BN game by yourself? link in my sig.
    For Crimelife 3 search for it on sandbox.yoyogames.com
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Post by MaestroMaharg on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:48 pm

There's no question that what you can do with GameMaker is limitless, and I applaud you, or whoever made ay of those games. However, the amount of time it woul take to create the game in GameCreator as compared to RPG Maker VX would be far moore, and whether the results after that time would be as good as the ones produced in RPG Maker VX is questionable.
    DJ-P0N3
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Post by DJ-P0N3 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:54 pm

what about the Unity Engine? Or is that somehow out of the question?
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Goldbott recommended me to use either Unity3d or ShiVa. According to him, it'll save us lots of hours of work. I'm planning to check both out right now.

Visitor

Post by MaxRock on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:02 pm

@ MaestroMaharg
    I'm only the programmer of that BN Chrono X game. Anyway, true.
    The greatness of the game depends on the the developers only, not the app or platform being used to create the game. Yet if you want it to be fine piece of software, it is better to put more time into developing it.
    Also I forgot to mention that probably at beginning of 2012 GameMaker users will be able to port their games to other platforms. At your palce I would stick with it only just for that option, instead working with VX. But it is your game, your point of view. There's nothing else to say than "Good luck! Show Capcom what fans can do!"
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm

One solution is to release prototypes and test footage as development progresses—throwing the fans a bone, and staying active at the same time, is a good way to keep momentum going with this project. It worked for the man who made Minecraft, for example, and it can work here. This is all assuming we want to make a 3D, open-world game, which I do myself.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Goldbott
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 pm

I personally think that you should look into an engine that was made to handle 3d content, Unity3d and ShiVa both being a good balance between simple and useful, UDK would be more difficult to use, Visual 3D is nice and it has the best terrain editor of the three (though making the terrain as a 3d object in a modeling application would be an option) but it hasn't been updated in years, Unity3d seems to have a ton of support too from it's community.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Is any of those programs compatible with Mac and/or Linux? Some people don't use Windows and they still would like to play.

V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:32 pm

Unity3d with compile to Mac and Windows, ShiVa will compile to Windows Mac and Linux, right now I personally like Unity better due to it's huge community.
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Unity has plenty of support, going off of what Goldblott is saying. I don't know the advantages and/or disadvantages of either platform, but I do know that Unity has had more support and word-of-mouth, and hopefully for good reasons.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 pm

How many people use Linux without having a PC/Mac alternative?

V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 pm

On a poll of 118 people 71 use Windows, 18 use Mac, and 14 use Linux, the rest use OS types that cannot be compiled to with either ShiVa or Unity3D. As far as statistics goes Windows has always dominated the market and Mac's following has been close at some points, but I'd assume many of the people here would have Windows or possibly Linux, I can get a more complete comparison for you and make a new post, and we can all vote, if you thinking that would be the way to decide that.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 pm

I'm leaning more towards Unity3D so far. I don't know many people that use Linux exclusively. Most Linux users I know also have either a PC or a Mac.

V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:40 am

Well if thats the way you want to go I'm all for it, I can even help train some people to use the tool, or rather you could put up a training section on the forums and I could post some tutorials.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Post by Adrian2040 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 am

Goldbott wrote:Well if thats the way you want to go I'm all for it, I can even help train some people to use the tool, or rather you could put up a training section on the forums and I could post some tutorials.

That would be great. Please, proceed. And thank you very much.

Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:27 am

Godspeed, Gold. We're gonna need that training.

Let's not get nosy, bub.

OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:43 am

I am a Linux user, and will never touch Windows again. I love Linux too much.

I think that we should use the SFML for cross-platform windowing, texture loading, audio, and if we decide to do a 2D game, the graphics rendering.

It's a very stable library designed from the ground up to work with the three major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, although Mac support is still a little broken) by removing all of the OS-specific stuff.

The graphics module only supports 2D, but images loaded with it will work with OpenGL rendering (the class that handles images has a Bind() function so it can be treated as a texture to be rendered onto a polygon with OpenGL). It also has fragment shader support (vertex shaders coming soon).

The second version of the library is coming very close to release, with only the graphics module at risk of getting major changes (the new system he's working on should be out within a month or two, and has some significant performance enhancements, as well as vertex shaders which might be useful).
    Truner

Male Posts : 23

Post by Truner on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:52 am

I use Windows (both XP and 7), Ubuntu and I am about to install Snow Leopard too. But several friends of mine use Windows. Only one of them uses Ubuntu and one of them uses Snow Leopard.
    Goldbott
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Post by Goldbott on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 am

OniLink++ wrote:I am a Linux user, and will never touch Windows again. I love Linux too much.

I think that we should use the SFML for cross-platform windowing, texture loading, audio, and if we decide to do a 2D game, the graphics rendering.

It's a very stable library designed from the ground up to work with the three major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, although Mac support is still a little broken) by removing all of the OS-specific stuff.

The graphics module only supports 2D, but images loaded with it will work with OpenGL rendering (the class that handles images has a Bind() function so it can be treated as a texture to be rendered onto a polygon with OpenGL). It also has fragment shader support (vertex shaders coming soon).

The second version of the library is coming very close to release, with only the graphics module at risk of getting major changes (the new system he's working on should be out within a month or two, and has some significant performance enhancements, as well as vertex shaders which might be useful).

I understand that you don't like Windows, heck I wouldn't have it either if I didn't need the dev tools that are windows specific, but keep in mind that there may be quite a few developers working on this and whatever is chosen as the game engine must be easy to learn, Unity3d is fairly simple being picked up by anyone with programming experience. If we were going to use a bare game engine I'd prefer something a bit more suited to 3d work, possibly irrlicht, but right now we have to think about programmers who may not be ready to work with something of that level and world builders who need a simple and comprehensive tool, and Unity3d fits that bill.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:33 am