Why a 3D Fan-Game May Not be Possible...

Poll

Are you still prepared to make a 3D Megaman Legends fan game?

[ 18 ]
    82% [82%] 
    [ 2 ]
    9% [9%] 
    [ 1 ]
    5% [5%] 
    [ 1 ]
    4% [4%] 

Total Votes: 22
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Why a 3D Fan-Game May Not be Possible...

Post by MaestroMaharg on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:13 pm

To be honest, Unity 3D is an absolutely amazing program. Howver, in my opinion, not for what we are trying to accomplish. The programming may be made easy with Unity 3D, but Unity 3D is absolutely terrible for modelling, and while I'm on the topic, you still have to model characters, just imagine for a second how long it will take to make all of these characters that are necessary to the storyline, not to mention the animations to go along with them:

Megaman (Running, jumping, walking, shooting, idle, skate, spec. wep. shooting, strafe,being hit, and roll animations!)
    Roll (Idle, walking, running)
    Barrell (Idle, walking)
    Data (Dancing Razz )
    The Bonnes (talking, idle, walking etc.)
    20+ Reaverbots (Moving, jumping, shooting etc.)
    3+ Bonne Machines (Moving, flying, floating, shooting, dying etc.)
    10+ Civilians (Walking, Idle, Running)
    30+ building
    30+ assets (cars, light posts, trash cans etc.)
    Not to mention the landscapes and towns

To put this into perspective, while an amazing project, Jeric Bryle has been working on his game for over a year now, and he has complete only Megamans' animations and the models and animations for 2 different Reaverbots.

That leaves us with Roll, Data, Barrell, the Bonnes, 18 Reaverbots, 3 Bonne mechs,10 civilians, numerous assets, and many towns and building, all that have to be modeled and animated, not to mention programmed.

Now this is from one very talented individual, and this took him over a year. If he were to release an acceptacle game that people could enjoy as much as Megaman Legends 1 or 2, it would be over 5 years! more like 10!

If we are truly aiming to acheive what would take Jeric Bryle 10 years, then we must be prepared to put in a good 5 years of constant attention and hard work... Mad
    Goldbott
    V.I.P. Contributor
    V.I.P. Contributor

Re: Why a 3D Fan-Game May Not be Possible...

Post by Goldbott on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:19 pm

You cannot model in Unity3d, you can create primitives for certain purposes, but all modeling would be done in a 3d modeling application such as Blender 3d.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:26 pm

The difference is that we are not working alone. Also, some people that started similar projects some time ago have base where to start working. The reason they stopped was because they working alone.

Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Even supposing we never completed the game, the process of getting things to work is fun in itself—it's because of the joys of game making that people still go into the industry, despite meager returns and endless amounts of effort needed to make a game. I've never made a game before—if I want experience working on one, it may as well be something I'm passionate for, like Legends 3.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Jesse
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 35

Post by Jesse on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 pm

It depends on what the fans want. If they're like me, I'm sure they would be happy with a simple demo, much like what the Prototype Version should've been. Then as time progresses we could add more and more content similar to the idea of "DLC packs."

It's quite possible that the entire finished game may take 5 plus years. However by releasing small sections of the game at a time we're giving the fans smaller samples that leave them hungry for more which will also translate into motivation for us.

Also, in an absolute worst-case scenario, if Crapcom decides to shut us down, we only would've wasted a few months of work rather than a few years. lol Razz

OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:30 am

Even if we never complete this, I'm sure that most of us will have fun trying.
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Post by rekka_zan on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:32 am

OniLink++ wrote:Even if we never complete this, I'm sure that most of us will have fun trying.
    I want a "Like This" button Cool
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 am

It speaks for itself, Rekka. If we can't enjoy making games, we won't even get started!

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Adrian2040
    Admin and Lead Director
    Admin and Lead Director

Male Posts : 648

Post by Adrian2040 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:11 am

rekka_zan wrote:
    OniLink++ wrote:Even if we never complete this, I'm sure that most of us will have fun trying.
    I want a "Like This" button Cool

I'll try to make one. Smile

Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:12 am

Just don't give us the Like-Like yet. I have it restrained in the boiler room, in case you're wondering.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Skybane Zero
    DASH Writer
    DASH Writer

Male Posts : 206

Post by Skybane Zero on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:30 am

From what I can see, It looks like we have a good number of skilled people supporting us; I think we have a good change of pulling this through even if their are certain difficulties along the way.

Official Designer

Male Posts : 12

Post by Maverinox on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Well, if we can't do 3D, we could still do 2D.

We could do it like.. Zelda style for the outside world maybe? And Metroid style when you go into dungeons? Just throwing ideas out there.

I can possibly do sprite work to if we do 2D (when fall college classes roll around, I may/may not have free sufficient time on my hands)
    Edich
    Lead Writer
    Lead Writer

Male Posts : 420

Post by Edich on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:42 pm

I don't care if we fail. I honestly don't. I'll do everything I can to keep us going, but I still won't be angry if it comes to a bad end.

I want experience, fun, brainstorming, a chance to learn about game development first-hand. And these are things I'm already getting. I wouldn't be angry if this dwindled out in a few months. Or if Capcom pulled a "Chrono Trigger 3D" and CoD'd us at the last second. Or if by some miracle we actually got the game from the company itself. None of it would feel like wasted time to me.

So the 3D challenge is accepted.
    MaestroMaharg
    DASH Designer
    DASH Designer

Male Posts : 465

Post by MaestroMaharg on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Looks like an overwhelming amount of people want a 3D game. Let the mayhem behind. The glorious, beutiful mayhem that is Megaman Legends 3!
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:36 pm

—The Klickelan Conspiracy!

It's a good name, I tell ye!

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Skybane Zero
    DASH Writer
    DASH Writer

Male Posts : 206

Post by Skybane Zero on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:42 pm

MaestroMaharg wrote:Looks like an overwhelming amount of people want a 3D game. Let the mayhem behind. The glorious, beutiful mayhem that is Megaman Legends 3!

Naturally, Graham. It's one of the things which sets the Legends series apart from every other Megaman series, lol. Razz Not to mention it's only logical, since the first two games were 3D.
    Ben-Hur Pilotti
    Official Designer
    Official Designer

Male Posts : 84

Post by Ben-Hur Pilotti on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:07 pm

I think we should aim for a unique, and creative art style...
    Something like a cell-shaded, but with nice twists.

Art style is much more strong than the technical graphics. Okami, for example, looks better than many PS3 games, by art alone!

We can try to play with colors more, and maybe, try a different 3D moddeling, maybe chibi, or something more easy to do, but that has appeal.
    Then, we can please, and do the work easily...

What do you guys think?
    rekka_zan
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Male Posts : 68

Post by rekka_zan on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 pm

I'm no 3D modeler, but I think cel-shading would be difficult to implement. And the engine we're going to use (Unity) doesn't support it natively (CMIIW). The visual artists' job on this project will be tough, and I don't think we should give them additional burden. But it all depend on the 3D team to decide.
    KarasuShiro
    Official Writer
    Official Writer

Male Posts : 24

Post by KarasuShiro on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:45 pm

I follow the idea of a creative art style ! but i think we also need what our team can and cannot do exactly. suppressing "crazy" ideas may help us to find how to proper make the games graphics and engine. one track i propose is maybe something "a la" paper mario, i know it may sound weird...but i think that can be fun, not too hard to do (well its mostly 2D work , always easier than 3D i think) and it can provide really good style. For 3D style, maybe something with a strong identity , like maybe something with shadows and cell shading, like killer 7 (i know its a little bit too dark for a megaman, but i'm just giving exemples XD)

for sure i'd like to see a full 3D megaman legends 3 , as i think , all of us do want. question is : can we do it? do we have the materials? the people and the skills to do ? that, i dont know xD

well, i'm just throwing ideas, no offense i hope ^^
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 pm

One can see that there was already an excellent visual style going on in the Prototype, which was achieved through use of an excellent shader, which well-emulated the look of previous Legends games—not through alternation between texturing and flat shades, but through rim lighting and broad color contrasts. I want to keep that style as it just works darn well, but we also need to evaluate how well our 3D modeling will be working.

Let's not get nosy, bub.

OniLink++
    Official Programmer
    Official Programmer

Male Posts : 76

Post by OniLink++ on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 am

rekka_zan wrote:I'm no 3D modeler, but I think cel-shading would be difficult to implement. And the engine we're going to use (Unity) doesn't support it natively (CMIIW). The visual artists' job on this project will be tough, and I don't think we should give them additional burden. But it all depend on the 3D team to decide.
    Cel Shading actually isn't very difficult. First of all, the people who make the textures luckily don't have to deal with shading. A cel shading shader program is relatively easy to implement (in GLSL at least, I haven't tried Cg before). It's just regular lighting calculations, but the diffuse (and probably also specular if it's used) intensities need to be clamped to specific values.
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:12 pm

I can see why you're on the road to being Lead Programmer—I kid, as I've seen nothing from the others, but that is some great advice there. The Prototype-style shading and rim lighting still appeals quite considerably to me, though.

Let's not get nosy, bub.

afreaknperson
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 8

Post by afreaknperson on Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm new here and I haven't really used unity but I have done a bit of udk. It would be very easy to do advanced shaders in udk if anyone would like to switch to that instead. If not I'm sure it can be done unity it just requires a little more research.
    Rockman Striker
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 211

Post by Rockman Striker on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:14 pm

About the models, I don´t see any extreme difficulty modelling them, we just need lots of references (the devroom images and the 3d viewer are good start ups) and also some revising until all are perfect. I bet there are good artist here that would be able to design the textures (or use MML textures)
    What we need is determination (and we have it) and time to group and plan everything.
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Post by General Specific on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:18 pm

If each and every one of our 3D modelers can get to the point that they can get the proportions on a Servbot just right, we can progress from there and start working on other character models. Cartoon characters are harder to model than one might initially think!

Let's not get nosy, bub.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am