A.I. System

omegaprime02
    Official Conceptual Developer

Male Posts : 35

A.I. System

Post by omegaprime02 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm surprised no one has brought this up, this is one of the most important issues that has to do with a game. Are we going to use Unity's AI system, or build our own from the ground up?

I ask this because I know this is one of the largest hurtles we'll have to cross, as the game play is heavily dependent on the enemy AI, and is what killed my the last project I worked on. I have some experience with AI programing but not enough for advanced protocols (dynamic searching, special attacks, etc.).

I know most Reaverbot's are generally stupid, but there are bound to be exceptions, like bosses.

I really want to get this out of the way so we can focus on other things, it makes me nervous to have this topic open and waiting for attention, once we have at least a basic AI system planned, I will be much less twitchy...
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Re: A.I. System

Post by General Specific on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Who said they have to be stupid? If we can find a way to improve their AI greatly from the old games, we should do so—this should be a labor of love for the team. Pathfinding is generally an easy start for working on the AI, as there are numerous scripts out there that work. For me, though, I'm most interested in getting context recognition pinned down and done well—this could allow for more complex Reaverbot attack patterns, such as attacking in formations.

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    omegaprime02

Male Posts : 35

Post by omegaprime02 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 pm

OK, I agree that upgrading from the old games would be a good idea, unfortunately my experience is based on basic recognition (example: Hear sound: investigate sound, if player is seen: attack, if not: return to previous location), anything too much more advanced and I'll have to take time off to find out how to do it.
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:49 pm

At this conceptual and organizational stage in development, you and I will have all the time in our free time to figure stuff out. Don't gat hasty!

Let's not get nosy, bub.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:43 am