Character choices in non-story relevant areas/generic travel

Baldarov
    Visitor
    Visitor

Character choices in non-story relevant areas/generic travel

Post by Baldarov on Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:10 am

So, having been unable to keep up due to work, this week was actually my very first encounter with Barrett, AND I did not know about him until I discovered the gamefaqs post through OffTheMoon.

I must say if I discovered this sooner, it would have possibly cut my interest in the game in half. Exactly WHY was there voting for a HeroINE if she were not going to be playable anyway? I can't help but wonder if an exec believed it was going off the rails at this point and raised the red flag for the plug pulling consideration. Quite unfortunate that every source I check seems to confirm this. It's not that I completely actively hate him but it's certainly not what I signed up for.

So, I was thinking perhaps a pause screen swap akin to the old 2D megaman weapon screen (which could also open up the way for mod characters ala Capcom's PC iterations at a later date, the implication being they're travelling together RPG style and only the first person 'in line' is doing the fighting) and you could play as Aero and then the game would either auto-swap back for story scenes, or it could go the silly route and 'talk over' the character, as Bam Entertainment's Way of the Samurai did. (Using female characters still had everyone respond to you as the default set of male only samurai would, and also left you with all the same dialogue options, leading to some very questionable interpretations of some scenes.) Essentially all their dialogue was written first and THEN choosing from the models through completion/a button code was added in. It shouldn't be too hard to simply readjust some pronouns though since there wouldn't be super-major plot points revolving around the Bright Bats though (at least from what I see happening after Megaman is returned), but if you don't want to waste time on it for the 1.0 version I would understand completely.

As an additional side note, I felt 1 and 2 had some areas that felt too 'big,' not in size but in speed of traversal, especially backtracking. Unlocking faster modes of transportation later would help immensely. If you've noticed, the japanese for some reason seem not to care about how long it takes to get from point A to point B, they add a LOT of unnecessary travel, as well as a lot of backtracking.(One of my biggest complaints about the 3D zeldas and the Dynasty Warriors series esp prior to getting saddles) To make it less painful you should be able to unlock the slide/utilise the slide early on, so you skate around a bit faster optionally, comparable to Castlevania dodges repeatedly used is faster than plain running, followed by authentic speed boost upgrades should the player decide to make them. Could be anything from roller skates to jet skis/pack to a gyroman-ish propeller to spring shoes.
    (as to how spring shoes would work to make you faster horizontally, try out Toejam and Earl on genesis.)
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Re: Character choices in non-story relevant areas/generic travel

Post by General Specific on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:34 am

First off: Aero will not be a playable character in the Prototype or in Legends 3, so long as I'm the Lead Designer. The developers, being Japanese, decided to put an awful lot of attention on Event #1 in order to garner more attention to the Devroom, and try out their little social experiment. So, realizing they could pair a new male character with a new female character, they did just that—they made us choose which design would be used for this new character. And, most importantly, they needed a good buzz-term to advertise this event—how about "Heroine Contest"? Heroine, to them at least, meant a new female character, and what they meant in calling the Event just that was probably lost in translation. Instead, many Devroomies figured it meant she was going to be a female lead, not just another female character to be partnered with another Teomo representative. So, now that the smoke's been cleared, I can safely say that Aero will be pertinent to the story, but not so to the actual game components. Fans want to play as Barrett and, more importantly, Volnutt—I don't want to screw with a community that's been screwed over multiple times recently.

Second: we're definitely going to make sure that maps are designed with just the right amount of meaningful content and complexity, so that traversing them would be a joy. Making the player character too fast and maneuverable would force us to balance the enemy AI and design to such parameters—the game could become too difficult and frustrating for Legends fans, which means that a common ground needs to be found. Jet Skates and other tools/mechanics are things to consider when designing a map, and our design team is going to be on top of that and, hopefully, exceed everyone's expectations with the map/ruin design aspect of both the Prototype and Legends 3. If maps/ruins are designed just right, then it will no longer be an issue of how quickly the player can traverse an area, but how much there is to see and/or do in an area, at the player's own volition.

Finally: I see no reason why you shouldn't join our design team. Although I don't necessarily think the two main points you brought up in this topic-post were too interesting, I think you have just the right amount of levelheaded-ness and consideration to be an asset to the design department. I'm getting fairly desperate for dedicated mappers and designers, after all!

Let's not get nosy, bub.
    Baldarov
    Visitor
    Visitor

Post by Baldarov on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:25 am

well, it was definitely lost in translation then. I didn't hear about MML3 until the gaming news sites posted about the 'design a heroine' event, and all information posted during voting made it sound like we really WERE voting for Volnutt's 'Raiden.' That's why I'm personally so much on having her playable, it's what I was sold upon. Heck, it's what the only moderately interested public was sold upon. Coming back after the cancellation I did a double-take like "Wait, what? NO!" especially since Barrett's visual design seemed similar to an up-aged Volnutt. I guess after it's finished it could always be an 'EX' project though.

I basically signed up jus to mention that I would like the areas to feel a bit more fluid is all, one of the more painful things I remembered about Legends was honestly a problem nearly every 3D 'adventure' type game had at the time, either long corridors of nothing, or shorter corridors that looked fancy but had no real 'interactive' elements (not just like having the character manipulate them, but like everything being very static and immobile and flat) and the shortness would make them stand out worse. I just have a mild fear that since I couldn't get to the devroom back then, it might not have been addressed. The running speed is fine for combat, but it sucks for general travel. That was one reason why I gave Castlevania as an example, because over the course of the game you open up a ton of shortcuts, from faster movement (riding on a yeti/dragon in Curse of Darkness, analogous to the jetboot example, or just abusing the extra movement frames of the flip, which would be the slide), to collapsible passageways and opening gates, to aseembling bridges, or to simply have 'warp points' within the same area. (I guess an MML example of this could be negating a long walk to a city by accidentally burning down the forest during a fight with Tron, thereby enabling you to land at the original spot if you need to farm zenny, or land closer if you just want to talk to someone right away, for ruins it could be something like a pillar blocks your path farther in, and blowing it up opens a hole in the ceiling where you can slide back down to your position instead of having to walk there again)

Basically you shouldn't overlook a good story excuse for aiding player convenience, because it makes replays more painless if you know the 'reward' for beating this area, or that room of creatures, is to create a shortcut. And you can even find/make some of your own shortcuts along the way! It also makes contextual sense for a 'digger' to use these shortcuts. Faster access to high-zenny areas or allowing them to leave the ruin, then after recuperating or gathering necessary passage-opening elements, dropping straight back in. I doubt I can be the only one who picks and chooses his most replayed Castlevanias and Metroids and the like based upon these elements. (After all, that time spent running by enemies half-asleep to return to my original position could be used for other forms of advancement or playing a different game)

I appreciate the offer but I work two jobs to make ends meet, a minimum of 12 to a maximum of 18 hours a day, it just wouldn't be possible at this time. (I have done mapping but that's in mostly faster themed games like Unreal, so they would have to be double-checked to make sure progression wasn't overly fast)
    These mapping experiences did show me that non-challenging inconvenience goes a long way towards whether a map is liked or not. A more recent-ish example would be Phantasy Star Online. Almost nobody, not even some of the devs, enjoyed Caves1. It's an absolute chore to slog through, it's huge and very long, it's blah and bland to look at (nothing but shades of brown and dark red), and half the time you die to an enemy because you're just being worn down by the length and getting distracted. Worse, all rooms looking nearly alike makes it easy to get lost until you've found the exit. Until the Maraca quest launched, I and many of my friends simply detested the entire area save for the pretty waterfalls in Caves2 and the boss himself (who is hella fun to fight) One area similar to that I can recall offhand was the cave area with the dinosaur reaverbot endboss. It wasn't as overly pronounced but it still did kind of suffer the same fate, in that the 'payoff' of the interesting boss only works the first time, and after that when you're coming BACK to that area on the next playthrough your average person is like "Oh man, oh man...wait now I remember this area, I can't wait to be over and done with this area, argh I hate how long this takes!"
    General Specific
    Lead Designer
    Lead Designer

Male Posts : 1059

Post by General Specific on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:26 am

I appreciate the clarification on your job status, Baldarov. Shortcuts, in the grand scheme of things, was something I'd already been considering anyhow. Generally, that said, the best solution is to balance scale of maps with how much content and interesting crap they have in them.

Let's not get nosy, bub.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:40 pm