A method of interactive music.

Leonel
    Official Multitasking Developer

Male Posts : 68

A method of interactive music.

Post by Leonel on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:37 pm

I recently found this video on sonicretro that showed a college project about 'Advanced Scoring for Video Games' and I thought it may be a good idea to show the composers of this project.

One of the electives I’m taking at college is “Advanced Scoring for Video Games” which basically talks about interactivity in music, explores interactive audio middleware (I.e. FMOD and Wwise and a bit of xact)

The Wwise assignment basically requires you to take an existing game, re-score it, and include interactive elements. Many people chose games that already had interactivity in them, I.e. Mass Effect, God of War, that kind of stuff. (combat -> transitions to combat music, idle -> transitions to idle music, ‘seamlessly’) I’ve noticed two different trends in how video games are scored, mainly the eastern and western styles which really, really differ. While games made in the west typically score moods rather than themes, which makes it easier to do all that interactivity and transitioning, Japanese games typically compose themes, complex musical structures/progressions, very memorable melodies, etc which typically doesn’t translate too well into interactivity – they just fire and forget. I decided to give myself a challenge and do a Sonic level and give it some form of interactivity.

Since, for better or worse, the game is on rails a lot, and levels are divided into segments, I thought I’d compose something that actually had a song structure, then basically just make sure that transitions from one section to the next were possible from a multitude of areas. Additionally, I intended to have 3 genres of the music, which hot-swapped depending on how well Sonic was doing. This is the result.
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Female Posts : 205

Re: A method of interactive music.

Post by PixelSprite on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Didn't quite managed to read or follow all of the comments in that video, but it seemed cool, and I agreed with his complaint about boosting in recent Sonic games. Sonic Team, please don't punish me musically for boosting; I'd like to hear the entire song, please and thank you.

Official Conceptual Developer
    Official Conceptual Developer

Male Posts : 49

Post by Olawale on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:51 am

Interactive music in Legends 3 would be kickass idea; it would be like the Super Mario Galaxy games and this Ghirahim boss battle (listen closely when he takes damage).
    Rockman Striker
    Official Artist
    Official Artist

Male Posts : 211

Post by Rockman Striker on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:45 pm

It seems like a great idea, the way how's implemented on Sonic Unleashed is wonderful, problem is, I can't visualize how this effect can be done in MML3, there could be a change in music from no battle to battle or for a boss fight, but what else?
    Leonel

Male Posts : 68

Post by Leonel on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:44 am

Rockman Striker wrote:It seems like a great idea, the way how's implemented on Sonic Unleashed is wonderful, problem is, I can't visualize how this effect can be done in MML3, there could be a change in music from no battle to battle or for a boss fight, but what else?
    Something like it changing progressively as you make your way trough the ruins closer to the treasure, maybe trough each floor, or when you get past certain rooms.
    There could be something like what zelda has been doing with music during battles, making the hits be part of the music.
    Or simply when the HP or Special reaches low levels the music changes to a different tone.

There are many possibilities we may not have thought of.
    jadzxa
    Official Musician
    Official Musician

Post by jadzxa on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:44 am

Many variations in the music depending on where you are and such. Or things happening. Love the idea. Would be pretty neat to place in. I believe Legends 2 did a bit of this based on where you were as in deeper in ruins and such, though with this, it'd be more like, if you were to get hit, something popping out of no where (battle variation which falls into main theme at the time) Or just something to place it more on key with the current happening. Again it's not a bad idea.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm