Lighting Concept

Leonel
    Official Multitasking Developer

Male Posts : 68

Lighting Concept

Post by Leonel on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:55 pm

Thinking about how to improve the lighting of the ruins without having a big performance drop I thought we could add one projected light with real time shadows to create some contrast.

To make the light cast something I borrowed the method used in portal where they put a high ceiling with vines hanging and some other wrecked stuff.

This is how the room ends up looking like.

I think I could tweak the leaves a bit to leave more room for the light to go trough.

What do you think?
    PixelSprite
    DASH 3D Artist
    DASH 3D Artist

Female Posts : 205

Re: Lighting Concept

Post by PixelSprite on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:30 pm

If you'll forgive my curtness, what I think is that most of us don't have the $1500 necessary for Unity Pro's real-time shadows and deferred lighting. Lightmaps and blob shadows are likely what we're gonna be relying on.

It looks fine to me, but so far I am hopeless with lighting so my opinion shouldn't count toward anything.

Post by Leonel on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:42 pm

PixelSprite wrote:If you'll forgive my curtness, what I think is that most of us don't have the $1500 necessary for Unity Pro's real-time shadows and deferred lighting. Lightmaps and blob shadows are likely what we're gonna be relying on.

It looks fine to me, but so far I am hopeless with lighting so my opinion shouldn't count toward anything.
    Well that sucks.
    We could work hard on lightmaps

Last edited by Leonel on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
    Leonel

Post by Leonel on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am

I experimented with both free and pro versions and it seems Free can handle thin static shadows trough lightmaps which achieve more or less the same effect that I showed, without the leaves moving or the character casting shadows of course, but still the lighting can have this 'high-contrast' stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 am